Welcome

Hey everyone. This is my blog from Benin, Africa. I'll try to write as much about my experience as I can. Hope you all enjoy and feel free to write me as well.

Friday, October 3, 2008

September 18 post Finally




Well I have finally moved into my house. I am so happy I could cry. I love my house. It is amazing that I love it because it is just concrete walls and a tin roof but it is all mine and no one can bother me if I don’t want to be bothered. My bathroom is probably the prettiest part of my house so far. It is in the back of my house and has tile floors, tiled walls, a shower head and a pink toilet. I could probably live in my bathroom it is so pretty. For those of you who have never had to share and use a latrine before, believe me when you get a toilet again you will just about kiss it.
So yes I am very happy to be in my house. I also really like my neighbors. One is a single man who works at the Centre de Sante (health center) and then there is a couple who has three kids, a 1 ½, year old and twins that are 8 months . The mom of the twins is very nice and she works at the Mayors office, she already invited me over to visit and see the kids. So, it is much better from living in a shed type house, next to one man who is never there, oh but who gets up in the morning very early and sings right outside my window, that was where the latrine and shower were .
People are also starting to be friendlier to me here. Some people know my name now so they don’t always call me “Yovo.” Also I am finding work that I am going to be to do here. For example the NGO I am working with wants to start to doing sensibilizations on family planning and I know all about that and how to do them so hopefully once they start that I can be a integral part in it. Also my boss will be coming back in two weeks so hopefully there will be a lot more for me to do.
I think the one thing about Africa that people either love or hate is the fact that there is always something going on. For example right now it is 4:00 and I can here two different types of music, crying babies, women talking and a pig crying ( I think it is being killed, not sure though.) So I would have to say that you could just look out your window and see all sorts of things but sometimes it would be nice to just have some quiet., especially at night when you are trying to sleep.
Tomorrow, which will actually be when I post this because I am writing on my laptop, I get to go into Bohicon the bigger and town and buy things, YEAH! We don’t have much of a differing food supply here in DjiDja so I am very excited to buy some things to eat.. Lately I have just been eating lunch because I don’t have anything good to cook for dinner to make me want to eat. So I guess on the plus side and I loosing some weight, however I don’t think I am getting the right amount of protein and vitamins because what I usually have for lunch is some rice and a little bit of cheese from the neighborhood lunch stand. I think when I get home Ill start the newest diet fad with the “African Food Diet” maybe I’ll make a bunch of money haha. Also I am going to buy some things to decorate my house with. They make these pretty woven straw mates here that you can use as a kind of carpet, something to sit on, or you can hang them on your wall. I am going to do all three I think just to make my house prettier. Saturday I am also going to go the carpenter and have him start making me some tables and a dresser so that I have somewhere to put things because right now everything I have is still in bags and on the floor.
Well that’s pretty much all I have for now, I hope everyone else is doing ok

No comments: