Welcome

Hey everyone. This is my blog from Benin, Africa. I'll try to write as much about my experience as I can. Hope you all enjoy and feel free to write me as well.

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

October 15

Hello all, hope everyone is good I am doing pretty well over here. I just got over a cold and am feeling much better now. Things are going well, even though my boss has been gone all week, she is “sick”, I haven’t done heardly anything new at work just the same old nothing lol.
Today was rather interesting though. I asked my neighbor if she would teach me how to make “pate” and sauce legumes. And she said she would, and told me what to by at the marche. Well it tuned into the biggest ordeal ever. Me and the young boy who helps me, went to the marche and bought lots of stuff. When we got back he probably made 5 more trips to get things that we needed again, which needless to say got very expensive. Well the girl asked another girl to help to me, her, the other girl and the young boy were all in my living room cooking ( I didn’t end up doing very much). They used tons of crap in my kitchen and we also had probably 10 children at any given time running in and out of my house. In the end it took about 3 hours to do all together, I spent quite a bit of money, and I ended up feeding half my neighbors. But that’s all ok I guessm it was really good food and I have plenty left over for dinner. So today was pretty fulfilling I guess.
I haven’t been getting much sleep over here recently because for some reason at around 2:00 in the morning, the neighbor hood dogs have decided to get together for choir practice. I sounds to me like 20 dogs are all howling and growling together for about an hour. I never new dogs could be soooo freaking loud. It is also quite scary as well because I have never heard of this before except in some creepy horror film.
On a more interesting note I have been noticeing that guns are a lot more prevelant here in Africa than in America. In America I could probably count the number of times I have see guns, and they were usually before my father went hunting or on an officer of the law. Over any old Joe could be walking by and half a machine gun straped to his back. Needless to say a lot of the time it is the Gendarms (police) who have these giant rifles or machine guns, however the other day I was sitting on my stop and two guys walked by with probably the biggest guns I have ever seen. I think they might be called elephant guns. It is just crazy the stuff you can see over here any old day of the week.
Also as I was sitting on my stoop the other day I started to feel very bad for the dogs that live around me. The reason is that the flys over here are always swarming all over there heads and the dogs have to continueally shake there heads to keep them off. I probably sat and watched this one dog for over 15 minutes and realized that that is probably the most annoying thing in the whole world. I mean the dog couldn’t even take a nap.

No comments: