Welcome

Hey everyone. This is my blog from Benin, Africa. I'll try to write as much about my experience as I can. Hope you all enjoy and feel free to write me as well.

Monday, August 4, 2008

Bohicon and the Voodoun

So this last week I went to Bohicon to visit another volunteer you lives there, I went with one other person, and we had a blast. The first day we went to the marche and we bought tons of avocados, tomatoes, beans, and a couple of other things and we went home and made some amazing guacamole and beans to eat. I was so excited to make my own food, who would have thought I would say that ha. The next day we went to an Africa Zoo. It was probably one of the hardest things I have had to see here in Benin so far. The monkeys were all chained up and the lions were locked in small cages. A lot of the animals were also in poor healthm especially the lions. All of them had sores on there bodies. The biggest lioness there, who was one of the most gorgeous animals I have ever seen, had severe soars all over her ears. It was very heart breaking. I took some vidoe so maybe I can post it on here, I am also hoping to send the footage to some animal rescue organization so that maybe i can help these animals in some way. There are so many places like that in Africa though so I don't know how much I could help. The next day, Friday, was independence day here in Benin. On our way to a party we ended up riding through a bunch of voodoo men, view picture to the right, they were marching down the street. It is actually a dangerous thing to be aroud these voodoun men because they will wipe you with there sticks, which is suppose to mean that they have cursed you. It was quite funny because my friend was on a moto in front of me and my moto driver was screaming at hers to go the other way because he new it wasn't very safe for us to be driving by them. It was cool to get to see them in person though. That night some African artistsm who's work is gorgeous by the way, invited us over for dinner. It was very nice and they played blues the whole time, which I thought was a great change from the Africa music I hear all the time lol. On Saturday we also got to meet some Amazon women and a king so over all it was a very interesting adventure. My mama here was very happy to have me home though, i think she missed me. I think my brother missed me as well because yesterday he turned on MTV for me so that i could here this song i introduced to him by Chris Brown. I though it was very nice of him. Other than that I don't know too much more. The next two weeks arn't going to be that exciting because we just have classes. In two weeks though I get to go visit my post so I an very much looking forward to that. I hope everyone else is going ok, until next time, A Bientot!!!!

No comments: