Welcome

Hey everyone. This is my blog from Benin, Africa. I'll try to write as much about my experience as I can. Hope you all enjoy and feel free to write me as well.

Sunday, February 15, 2009

February

Well how to start off this blog. First I guess I can start by saying that I really didn't do much in January which is why I didn't write about anything. My homologue (boss) has not been back to work for over a month now and still isn't coming back for another month so I really haven't had anything to do. However her being gone has made me explore my community more trying to finds some other things to work on and I think I have, which is great. First of all one of my friends in my town does talks and workshops on HIV/AIDS so we are going to work together on some things. Also I have been to the highschool in my town and I am going to start a English club for the students where I will help them with their homework and discuss interesting topics with them in English.

Lastly, is that I am going to start working with the health center in my town. It is like a small clinic, with one doctor, three to four nurses, a small lab and a small pharmacy. I have spoken to the manager, nurses, and the docotor all several times and they are all very excited to start working with me. I am not sure exactly what I am going to be doing yet but I do know I will be going with them on their satelite vaccination trips, which is when they go out into the smaller villages that are hard to get to and give out vaccinations and do baby weighings. I also think I will be working with trying to start a better nutritional recuparetaion program with them as well because the doctor was telling me how many of the children in the smaller, more rural villages are malnourished.

Other than that let's see, oh I have had my first sickness over here, I had Giardia, I was sick with stomach pains and similar problems for about two months but I just though it was normal, well it wasn't and now I am pain free and parasite free, even though I am sure I will probably pick up something else very soon lol.

Also I have been having a good time with my boyfriend. We just celebrated Valentines Day together. First we went shopping during the day and I bought and really pretty dress, I going to to try and put a picture of it on here, and nice shoes so that I could feel pretty that night and then we went to dinner at a very nice beachside restaurant. I had steak and so did he it was very good. Later we went with another couple to a nice lounge bar and had some wine. It was a very nice evening, and probably the first like real valentines day I have ever had with dressing up and a nice dinner and everything.

Other than that I think everything is going a little better over here. I am really hoping that I am going to start some work soon because that is why I am here and it kind of makes me feel very unsuccesful not havein done much of anything yet.

Oh at the beginning of March I am heading up to Burkina Faso to the West African Film Festival for a week so that should be very fun. I will be sure to write all about it on here.

No comments: